- Allergy and Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics - http://www.aanma.org -
Hiring a Babysitter
On January 7, 2009 @ 12:31 pm In All Articles
Feeling a little like the umbilical chord is still attached?
It’s time to get out of the house for an hour or two or three. Maybe a quiet, romantic dinner with your best friend will help. Or better yet, how about a weekend retreat with a good book and a bubble bath?
It may sound like a good idea until you start looking for someone to take care of your children with allergies, asthma, hives, eczema, and food allergies!
Aside from the obvious candidates – grandparents, other family members, godparents, and neighbors – responsible teenage babysitters can also take temporary but excellent care of your cherubs with allergies and asthma.
* Interview prospective babysitters to determine their interest in caring for children with special health needs.
* Ask for references from other parents.
* Hire the babysitter to spend an afternoon or two with you and the children. Use this time to teach the babysitter about your child’s special needs.
* Post emergency contact information and instructions on the refrigerator door or other clearly visible and accessible location.
* Leave a written letter giving permission to authorize treatment in the unlikely event that you cannot be reached in an emergency.
* Never leave your child in the care of another person when their asthma symptoms are not under good control.
Article printed from Allergy and Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics: http://www.aanma.org
URL to article: http://www.aanma.org/2009/01/hiring-a-babysitter/
URLs in this post:
 Parents: http://www.aanma.org/2009/01/parents/
 Flu Preparedness for People with Asthma and Allergies: http://www.aanma.org/2009/04/flu-preparedness-for-people-with-asthma-and-allergies/
 Sleep Matters: Getting a Good Night’s Sleep With Asthma and Allergies: http://www.aanma.org/2009/02/sleep-matters-getting-a-good-night%e2%80%99s-sleep-with-asthma-and-allergies/
 When Should Asthma Go To School?: http://www.aanma.org/2009/02/when-should-asthma-go-to-school/
Copyright © 2010 Allergy and Asthma Network Mothers of Asthmatics. All rights reserved. http://www.aanma.org