Anaphylaxis, a severe and potentially life-threatening allergic reaction, can be caused by insect stings, latex, foods, and medications. An anaphylactic response occurs rapidly, often beginning within seconds or minutes of exposure to the allergen – but it can be stopped with the right medication. In this edition of Ask the Allergist, Dr. Dana Wallace, 2011 president of the American College of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology, talks about how to recognize and treat symptoms fast. Read the rest of this entry »
Archive for February, 2012
Q. How can I tell when to use auto-injectable epinephrine? I don’t want to use it or go to the hospital if it’s not necessary.
A. There is no way to predict how severe an anaphylaxis episode might become, so the time to begin treatment is when symptoms first develop. Read the rest of this entry »