Looking for a healthy-ingredient snack bar? Take an afternoon with the kids and put this together – then tuck it into a school lunch or serve it to the soccer team! The nuts make it a good choice for a calcium-enriched treat but if you’re allergic to nuts, try out Chef Michelle’s suggested substitutes.
Everyone’s Favorite Cereal and Are-You-Nuts Bar
1 tbsp butter or margarine
2 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter or soy nut butter (room temp)*
* nut and soy-free alternative:
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil + ¼ cup apple sauce
3 cups of your favorite cereal crushed into small pieces– (Mine are Kashi Honey Flax or Toasted Berry Crumble)
2 tbsp sesame seeds
1/4 cup chopped almonds*
melt ¼ cup carob or dark chocolate chips
1. Spray 8” pan with cooking spray.
2. Microwave butter and marshmallows in large bowl for 30 seconds.
3. Stir; microwave 30 seconds more or until marshmallows are melted.
4. Reserve 2 tbsp peanut butter for frosting.
5. Stir remaining peanut butter into mixture.
6. Immediately add cereal – toss until well coated.
7. Press mixture into pan.
8. Microwave reserved 2 tbsp nut butter for 30 seconds; stir, then microwave another 30 seconds.
9. Pour over top of cereal mixture.
10. Sprinkle almonds over top (or drizzle melted carob chips).
11. Refrigerate for a minimum of 15 minutes.
Chef Michelle Austin writes “All in Good Taste” for AANMA’s Allergy & Asthma Today magazine. Founder of On Thyme Consulting and co-owner of Just to Please You Productions, she has also been a cocontributor to SOBeFiT magazine. All menu concepts and recipes are prepared by Michelle exclusively for AANMA. Click here to read more of Chef Michelle’s menus and recipes!